VP of Engineering | New York City, United States
Jason Fried is a proven technology leader who has built his career upon a deep knowledge of technology, business, and art. An eternal student of Math, Music, Art, and Design, Jason has continuously used this passion in the advertising, technology, and startup worlds. He has led tech teams, built new business, and created impactful and meaningful web experiences.
Throughout his career, Jason has worked with countless startups, boutique agencies, and Fortune 500 companies. He has led large-scale technology projects and has used his creative flair to consult on a wide range of related topics to help clients understand how to best use technology. He has architected large-scale data and communication platforms, developed award-winning UX/UI, and led both creative and technical teams from conception to completion.
In addition to his impressive resume, Jason is an avid hiker and rock-climber; is a founding member of Brooklyn's monthly storytelling event, Shed Story Salon; and volunteers with The Access Fund and Environmental Defense Fund.
VP of Engineering
IPG Media Lab
Director of Technology
Co-Founder and CTO
VP of Engineering
Capsule Pharmacy (January 2017 - August 2018)
At Capsule, Jason was brought on to lead the technical direction of the company and engineering team - both technically and organizationally. Jason grew the engineering team from 2 engineers to 20+ and helped prepare the company for a second fundraising event. In May 2018, Capsule Pharmacy closed on 50MM Series B led by Glade Brook Capital.
• Sat on the leadership team that took Capsule to $45MM in revenue (from $4MM) and to a $50MM series B investment round.
• Delivered both web and mobile properties for doctor experience, consumer experience, pharmacy management system, logistics integration, in-house workflow management system.
• Spearheaded successful technical bets around both machine learning driven claims processing and automated customer communications and intent classification.
• Developed a culture of managing technical debt, which allowed us to navigate several growth spurts over 18 months.
• Built out hiring plan, onboarding, and career success tracks, as well as developed Capsule’s engineering career ladder.
• Hired 20 engineers, groomed engineering management from within the team and helped build out Product org from 1 person to 5 people.
• Developed career growth strategies, 1:1 feedback loops, and trained and mentored engineering directors and managers
• Developed processes for successful planning and estimation, code authoring and reviews, deployment, testing, and architecture reviews.
• Drove high level technical and architectural decisions, across all applications, including DevOps and Data.
Director of Technology
IPG Media Lab (August 2014 - December 2016)
At IPG, Jason worked directly with the Managing Director and Creative Director of the IPG Media Lab, as well as key stakeholders across several IPG agencies.
• Worked across all agencies to develop new technologies and productize them for client use.
• Managed 12 teams of 100+ engineers and product managers across multiple locations on highly time-sensitive media projects.
• Helped improve and centralize task management, development, and deployment tools across multiple office locations to provide a single point of insight into project status, milestones, estimations, and deployments.
• Worked with teams to improve estimation, planning and increase performance.
• Worked directly with clients to develop web and mobile solutions:
- NYX / L’Oreal: developed in-store digital retail experiences (iPad/iOS) across 40+ stores as well as the NYX mobile app
- MillerCoors: Web and Alexa based on-demand delivery system.
- KIA: Web, Google Home, Alexa, and FB Messenger based chatbot to answer questions about the 2017 Kia Niro
- Coors: Partnered with Intersection and Pandora to server neighborhood-based playlists on LinkNYC, sponsored by Coors. Ran for 6 months in Q3/Q4 2017
across all LinkNYCs.
• Led dozens of client workshops for Fortune 100 CMOs and their teams to help them understand how technology will shape the way their teams work in the next 5-10 years.
• Led a small team to develop POCs in:
- Radio wave triangulation of mobile devices in high populated events spaces
- NLP / Chatbot deployments (led to award-winning NiroBot for Kia)
- Intent Classification using Machine Learning for Customer Success Center at L’Oreal - Progressive OOH digital marketing campaigns based on customer segmentation by location and time using waves swarm algorithms
• Worked directly with the strategy team on developing the Yearly Report on the state of new technology.
Co-Founder and Chief Technology Officer
Bergamot (January 2012 - August 2014)
Bergamot was a subscription and discovery service for niche perfumes. As Co-Founder and CTO of Bergamot, Jason managed the technical direction of the company and team. Bootstrapped and working in a very agile environment, Jason shared many aspects of development, brand direction, content creation, marketing, and fulfillment. He helped grow the business to an annual revenue of $3MM.
Givaudan (2003 - 2013)
At Givaudan, Jason worked directly with the Head of Internet Technology and Innovation to create internal applications and architect a redesign of the corporate site, ingredients site, and intranet sites. Many of their applications were groundbreaking within the industry and were awarded FiFi's on several occasions. In addition, he worked on a number of consumer-facing and enterprise mobile applications for the iPhone.
VP of Product Development
De-De (February 2012 - August 2012)
At De-De, Jason worked directly with the CEO and Board Members of Droga5 to create and develop Thunderclap.it, a platform that gives people with something to say the power of the crowd. As VP of Product he managed a small team of 6 engineers and product designers. He helped develop the product from zero to launch, culminating in a campaign with Beyonce and the United Nations in under six months. As the project lead, he interfaced with and brought on top-tier clients such as The White House, Discovery Channel, US Senator Jeane Shaheen, and Al Jazeera.
Chief Technical Officer and Head of Product Development
Exclusively.in (June 2009 - November 2011) As the first hire and Head of Product and Technology, Jason's role straddled two worlds: User Experience and Software Development. At Exclusively.in, he was able to work with a large team of merchandisers, buyers, developers, designers, and executives in both India and New York to build a successful business from the ground up. Specifically, his team was responsible for the design and iteration of the product, as well as the commerce platform and integration of various technologies. Exclusively.in was funded by Tiger Capital in 2011 ($15MM B-Round) and soon moved all operations to India post-acquisition by Indian e-commerce giant Myntra.
Co-Founder and Chief Technology Officer
Myopenbar.com (2005 - 2009) As one of the founding members of Myopenbar.com, Jason's specific role began as CTO and, over time, included business development and strategic operations. Myopenbar was an essential part of the NYC nightlife scene and was featured in the New Yorker, the New York Times, the Daily News and the NY Post. They were also featured on ABC, CBS, and NBC News.
Documentary Film Producer
Self Employed (2002 - 2005)
Jason most notably produced Arakimentari, a film about Nobuyoshi Araki, that was shown at festivals in over 10 countries and was sold in 12 territories including US, UK, Germany, and Japan.
Apt5a Design Group (2001 - 2005)
Jason led a team of designers and developers in the creation of content management, visually appealing, interactive consumer-facing sites, and business applications for various Fortune 500 companies, including Bacardi, Martini, Coca-Cola, Sony Music, Virgin Records, Givaudan, Outdoor Life Network, and Topps Trading Cards.
Lead Software Engineer
Q Strategies (2000 - 2001)
At Q Strategies, Jason focused on building large-scale commerce solutions in a time when open-source solutions were few and far between. As a technical lead, he led and managed a team of engineers on various projects, including e-commerce stores for the NFL, American Eagle, and Footlocker.
Grey Group (1998 - 1999)
At Grey, Jason was part of a small team of engineers and designers working on web development at the outset of the internet boom. His clients included Oracle, Chase Bank, USAFloral and the NHL.
State University of New York at Buffalo
B.S. Applied Mathematics (1992 - 1996)
At SUNY Buffalo, Jason received his Bachelor of Science degree in Applied Mathematics.
Berklee College of Music
Bass Guitar/Music Production (1996 - 1998)
Jason studied bass guitar and music production for 2 years at the prestigious Berklee College of Music.
PHP, JAVA, Obj-C, API Implementations, Server Scalability, Mahout/Hadoop Cloud Systems, Magento Commerce, User Experience, Product Development, User Interface, Site Architecture, Grid-Based Design Systems, CRM (Clustering, Segmentation, Attrition-Based Automation, Data-Driven Campaign Management), and Retail (Product Life Cycles, Sell-Through, Margin-Based Pricing, Sales Cycles).