Lead Frontend Developer | San José, Costa Rica
Jean considers himself the swiss army knife of full stack web development, with 14 years of experience programming scalable web applications and specialized knowledge in the field of Computer Science.
Architected and developed a POS solution for web, desktop, and mobile called Delite using React.js, React Native, Electron and CouchDB/PouchDB. This platform is used by over 2000 restaurants in the U.S., Europe, and Africa.
Developed several high-level solutions for a web application called Decisiv using Ruby on Rails as API, PubNub as data transport, and Hadoop for Big Data storage, here's an article about my work on that project:
Sponsored as a guest speaker in WebCongress Panama 2014 based on Decisiv project. Decisiv manages logistics for over 1000 transportation fleets.
Kune S.R.L. (July 2017 - Present)
- Develop IT strategies and architect big-picture scalable web infrastructures to attain the company's goals
- Plan, budget, and pitch web development and data analysis deliverables to potential investors in order to secure funds
- Communicate with stakeholders and customers to ensure the company's technologies are developed and used appropriately
- Find and recruit top IT talent to incorporate into leadership roles
BbY.WtF (July 2017 - Present)
- Designed and currently putting to action a guerrilla marketing strategy for upcoming project BbY.WtF
Full Stack Day (August 2016 - Present)
- Designed brand identity
- In charge of leading multidisciplinary team of highly skilled engineering and communication professionals
Full Stack Software Engineer
Toptal (October 2015 - Present)
Develop full stack React.js solutions for varied freelance projects
Transitional CTO/Tech Lead
GoPato (May 2018 - August 2018)
- Short-term contract providing technical leadership and training for all employees in the company, as well as directing all employees in IT departments to attain the company’s strategic goals
- Architected and developed solutions based on React.js, React Native, GraphQL, and PostgreSQL.
Senior React.js Tech Lead
18Techs (July 2017 - May 2018)
- Researched, architected, and developed a full stack cross-platform POS solution for Desktop, Web, and Mobile (iOS) which involves using Electron, React.js, and React Native
- Set coding standards, style-guides, and document development processes for easy induction of talent onto team
Sr. Software Engineer & Tech Evangelist
Gorilla Logic (October 2015 - June 2017)
- Developed, setup and deployed Ruby / Sinatra / Express.js / Angular2 micro-service apps for production usage in automated cloud-based infrastructures
- Evaluated and interviewed collaborator prospects
- Incentivized knowledge sharing through conference speaking and community engagement
Innovation Wizard and Dev. Commanding Officer
AgilityFeat (August 2013 - October 2015)
- Researched and implemented a walking skeleton of a Ruby on Rails application using Hadoop (HBase) as a data layer
- Managed small team of remote developers in varied nations and successfully built a walking skeleton of a multi-service application consisting of several isolated modules working seamlessly together
Animated Games AB (August 2013 - October 2015)
- Developed and integrated Angular.js views in a fast-paced environment of constant updates and innovation
- Create a new frontend architecture based on WordPress and Angular.js
Senior Creative Engineer
Bosz Digital (November 2012 - June 2013)
- Was an integral part of a team in charge of building an award-winning (Webby) website for Bank of America
- Key speaker at Digital Zoomit 2013
Web Design and Development Manager
PerHead.com (July 2010 - August 2012)
- In charge of the web design and development department for PerHead.com
PHP Development Consultant
Ticocentro (2009 - 2010)
GM Web Developer
avVenta Worldwide (2009 - 2010)
ZGas Company (2008 - 2009)
- Developed a solution using Microsoft VB6 and C++ to map GPS and depth readings from specialized equipment onto real-world scale CAD maps
Lead Product Developer
SITC S.A. (2003 - 2008)
- Designed, programmed, and maintained a live video feed chroma keying (green/blue screen effect) solution to be implemented in live broadcast use cases by TV stations in Honduras, Guatemala, and Nicaragua
- Mostly programmed using Microsoft VB6 and ActionScript (AS2)
Bachelor, Applied Science and Literature (2005-2007)
Volunteered since 1999 with Rotary International for several projects including the annual North Carolina Medical Drive to the Emsland Colony in Puerto Cortes, Honduras. Member of Rotaract Puerto Cortes, Honduras, from 2006 to 2008. Finalist at the Honduran Championship of Mathematics with emphasis in trigonometry.
DISTRIBUTED TEAM EXPERIENCE
Over 5 years of experience working with remote teams using Agile methodologies with daily status meetings and direct communication with clients. Prefers to reach out directly to teammates and clients to ensure requirements are on-point with the business goals of the clients and their users.
Worked with a distributed team of over 60 developers across the globe to create scalable micro-services to digest large amounts of data for an aerospace company using React.js, Angular.js, Node.js and AWS cloud computing services. Performed 1-week sprints, with one whole sprint at the beginning of each month dedicated solely to planning, research, and documentation. This work was featured in an article by The New Stack and led to a sponsorship to Stream Conf 2016, San Francisco, California to give a talk about findings and solutions.
Design implementation work
Worked on a project for Bank of America where the team was tasked with coming up with solutions on how to better present reports on the site. Personally tasked with overseeing the development of the landing page. Worked along with the lead designer making suggestions in regards to button placement, background colors for better readability, spacing and how to manage content placement for tablet and mobile views, since the landing page was required to be responsive. Once published, the site won a Webby Award.
As a Point Of Sale solution, Delite had a fairly out-dated frontend design. After some analysis, arrived at the conclusion that most of the user-base of Delite used the app from a Windows 10 PC. Led the efforts to refactor the user interface to match the aesthetics and user experience (UI/UX) of Windows Metro design. User satisfaction greatly increased once the re-design was released.